Thursday, March 10, 2005

Thank You

My thanks to my colleagues, Jaba Gupta and Chowdari Prasad, for their joyous appreciation of my blog. I am also deeply thankful to Professor Ganesh Bhat.

I am reminded of how Peter Senge and his team start their Fieldbook on “The Fifth Discipline.” Apparently among the tribes of Northern Natal in South Africa the most common greeting, equivalent to “hello” when translated would be, “I see you.” The other person would respond solemnly confirming his existence, “I am here.”

In many traditional cultures there is still the recognition that the very identity of one’s being is authenticated, and continues to be authenticated regularly, by the “social” others. How simple and wise!

The authors go on and ask us to compare this with the assertion, “I think therefore I am,” the famous western-civilization-defining statement of Rene Descartes. All of us know that this is the dominant perspective for all the “civilized” people all over the world. Is the wired world, ironically, going to change that?